Important Information & Advice
Sixth Amendment of the Doctoral Regulations
On Nevember 7, 2017, the sixth amended doctoral regulations came into effect.
"Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice" Event
The next QP event "Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice" (ME068) will take place February 5, 2018 from 12 noon to 5pm in Hörsaal 1.
(registration not necessary)
May 23, 2018 (Hörsaal 5);
September 27, 2018 (Hörsaal 6
Exam: Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice
The results of the exam "Wissenschaftliches Fehlverhalten und gute wissenschaftliche Praxis" are available.
All forms are now marked with a date of validity. Old forms will only be accepted until March 31, 2017.
- Admission to Doctoral Studies 2017
- The Supervision Confirmation
- Course "Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice"
- Course "Introduction to Medical Terminology" for doctoral studies (Dr. rer. medic. track)
- Course "Academic Writing"
- Use of Medical-Statistical and Biometric Methods
- Assessment of Doctoral Dissertations
The doctoral delegates of the clinics and institutes act as first points of contact for doctoral candidates.
All required documents, such as the supervison confirmation, cancellation of the supervision confirmation, application for admission to doctoral studies, et cetera, are to be submitted to the relevant doctoral delegate.
See also: Overview of Doctoral Delegates
Doctoral Coordinator and Advising
The doctoral coordinator, Dr. Peter Uciechowski, is the central contact for doctoral candidates who need advice on doctoral studies beyond formal matters such as application for admission.
The Doctoral Office is the main point of contact for the doctoral delegates.
Admission to Doctoral Studies 2017
As a requirement for enrollment as a doctoral candidate, graduates must persent a certificate from the doctoral commission to the Registrar's Office which states that the candidate has been admitted to doctoral studies.
To obtain this certificate, please download, complete and submit the following forms:
The completed forms are to be submitted to Dr. Uciechowski at the Dean's Office.
Before starting with your dissertation, and at least one year prior to your application for admission to doctoral studies, you must submit the Supervision Confirmation, an agreement between the supervisor and the candidate, to the Doctoral Office. The supervision confirmation can be downloaded below.
Please refer to Section 5, paragraph 5 of the doctorate regulations for detailed information. The doctorate regulations are available in the download box below.
Before submitting the supervision confirmation, please make a copy and save it for your records.
Since June 1, 2013, prospective doctoral candidates must complete the course on Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice before applying for admission to doctoral studies.
The course is offered three times a year outside of lecture periods – in the spring, around Pentecost, and in the fall. You do not have to register for this course.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Dagmar Marx, Institute of Immunology, phone +49 241 80-80208.
The next courses "Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice" will be held:
- February 5, 2018, 12 noon to 5pm in Hörsaal 1
- May, 5, 2018, 12 noon to 5pm in Hörsaal 5
- September 27, 1918, 12 noon to 5pm in Hörsaal 6
The past results of all exams for the course "Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice" until September 2017 are available.
Participants will not receive certificates of participation in person, as they will be passed on to the Doctoral Office and used to complement the applications for admission to doctoral studies. A list of participants who have successfully passed the course is available for download below.
Please note that the RWTH Center for Doctoral Studies also offers courses on good academic practice.
The Faculty of Medicine offers a special doctoral program for excellent graduates from other disciplines who have at least two years of professional experience. The program leads to a Dr. rer. medic degree. All participating doctoral candidates must complete the course on medical terminolog. The following information and documents are required for registration:
- First and last name
- Date of birth, city and country of birth
- Matriculation number, if applicable
- Copy of the supervision confirmation (Section 5 (6), Doctoral Regulations of the RWTH Faculty of Medicine)
The course is offered by the
Institute of Medical History, Theory and Ethics
Professor Dominik Groß
Office Manager: Susanne Wenzler
Phone: +49 241 80-88095
Course: Academic Writing
The Institute of German Literary Studies offers a seminar on academic writing, including the topics:
- Optimizing the writing process
- Introduction of various types of text: lab journal, report, experiment and internship reports, exposes, abstracts, Bachelor's and Master's theses
- Structuring principles, principles of effective argumentation
- Language and style
- Time management
- How to deal with writer's block
If statistical or biometric methods are required as part of the doctoral project, we recommend doctoral candidates consult with statistics experts beforehand. The Institute of Medical Statistics, for instance, offers advisory sessions as part of the advising colloquium. It is recommended to participate in an advisory session early on during the doctoral project, preferably at the planning stage.
Standards for the planning and description of studies are available on the Consort website, for instance. These methods are also applied to experimental work [1, 2].
 International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals. International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126:36-47.
 Altman DG, Gore SM, Gardner MJ, Pocock SJ. Statistical guidelines for contributors to medical journals. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1983 May 7; 286(6376): 1489-1493.
back to overview
Assessment of Doctoral Dissertations
The Doctoral Board has agreed on new recommendations for the assessment of dissertations (de).
- Supervision Confirmation & Declaration on Data Protection (de) (docx: 55 kb)
- Neue Empfehlung Beurteilung von Dissertationen mit neuem Bewertungsschema V4 12.07.2017 gueltig 12_2018.doc (doc: 98 kb)
- Bewertungskriterien+Dr-+rer-+medic+V3 12.05.2017 gueltig 12_2018.doc (doc: 48 kb)
- Merkblatt_zur_Einreichung_Dr__med_und_Dr__med__dent__V3_07.12.2017_gueltig 12_2018.docx (docx: 762 kb)
- Empfehlungen Autorenschaft.pdf (pdf: 47 kb)