3. Course on Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice


3. Course on Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice

3.1. When should I take the course?

It is best to take the course before you officially begin your dissertation, since the course covers possible problems that may arise regarding your dissertation and supervision confirmation.

3.2. Are there Quali-Punkte/credit points for the course?

Yes, the course counts as an elective module. It is worth 1 CP and can be counted towards all qualification profiles.

3.3. Do I need to submit proof I took the course if I have already submitted the application to have the admissions requirements reviewed or the supervision agreement?

As of June 1, 2013, you are required to submit your certificate from the "Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice" course together with your application for admission to doctoral studies.

3.4. Does the course require registration?

No, registration is not required.

3.5. Is any special preparation required?

No, you do not need to prepare for the course.

3.6. When is the course held?

This course is regularly held three times a year: at the beginning of the year, the week after Pentecost, and in the fall.

It is always held from 12 noon to 6pm. The location and exact date can be found on the Doctoral Office's homepage.

Participants take the exam the same day.

3.7. How do I find out if I passed and how do I get my certificate?

The exam results for "Academic Misconduct and Good Academic Practice" are published on the homepage of the Doctoral Office.

The certificates are not handed out. They are collected in the Doctoral Office and added to the individual doctoral applications.

3.8. Can I take the course at another university?

Yes, that is possible.

You should check with the Doctoral Office in advance about having approval for a course taken elsewhere. Generally only certificates for GWP or good academic practice are accepted, while certificates for GCP or good clinical practical are not.

3.9. Is the course also offered in English?

The Center for Doctoral Studies at RWTH, CDS for short, holds courses on good academic practice. They offer a course called Good Scientific Practice in English, which you can also take.

Further information from the CDS

3.10. Whom do I contact with questions about the course on academic misconduct?

If you have questions about the course, please contact:

Dagmar Marx, Department of Immunology
Phone: 0241-80-80208